PPZ Animal AssociateTemporary Wildlife Conservation Society posted 8 months ago
To assist in minimizing possible harmful risks to animals and the public during public exhibition by providing sufficient distance or barriers between the animals and the public and observing public interactions. Provide public interpretation of the barn area collection. Perform any authorized activity necessary for the safe, proper and humane management and maintenance of the Barn area animal collection, exhibits and associated service as directed.
Responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
• Provide supervision of animal contact areas, specifically Barn, during public hours to ensure safety of both collection animals and the public.
• Aid the general public and provide information concerning the Prospect Park Zoo, visitor services, exhibits and the animal collection.
• Prepare animal diets according to established protocols under the direction of the appropriate senior wild animal keeper and/or the supervisory/curatorial staff;
• Perform safe, proper and humane care of assigned animals according to established protocols under the direction of the appropriate senior wild animal keeper and /or the supervisory/curatorial staff.
• Perform safe and proper maintenance of assigned animal exhibits, holding facilities and associated service areas according to established protocols under the direction of the appropriate senior wild animal keeper and/or the supervisory/curatorial staff.
• Enforce the Prospect Park Zoo’s visitor rules and regulations;
• Perform other related tasks and duties at the instruction of senior animal keepers and/or the supervisory/curatorial staff.
• Current student or recent grad with a background and/or Interest in biology or a related field
• Must be available on weekends and holidays
• Ability to frequently move objectives weighing up to 50 pounds
• Ability to stay outdoors and maintain alertness in a variety of weather conditions
• Ability to climb, kneel, bend, and navigating uneven terrain.
• Ability to represent WCS in a professional manner and to establish and maintain positive, effective working relationships with employees, colleagues, and the general public.
• Current negative TB test (Proof must be shown upon onboarding)
• Ability to safely use tools (e.g. drill, wire cutters)
• Basic computer skills
• Prospect Park Zoo