Credit Review, DirectorFull Time @Mizuho Financial Group posted 6 months ago
About the Team
CRAD was established to act as an independent continuous monitoring function for the Americas operations of Mizuho Bank, Ltd. (MHBK) and operations in Canada, Mexico, and Brazil (“non-U.S. Americas”) as well as to ensure compliance with relevant U.S. regulatory guidance and alignment with established U.S. bank best practices. CRAD’s mission is to operate as a third line of defense (“3rd LOD”) independent from the approval process and provide an independent assessment and objective challenge that will ensure accurate credit ratings, adherence to policies, effective credit risk management and assist in the early detection of loan problems.
The incumbent will have a key role:
● Leading target reviews, continuous monitoring reviews and risk assessments, including planning, executing and reporting to evaluate risk ratings and ensure compliance with policies, approvals, underwriting practices, and monitoring.
● Performing independent, objective and timely assessment of the MHBK portfolio borrower relationships, credit risk ratings and credit risk management process.
● Understanding how the Bank’s risk appetite and risk culture should be considered in day-to-day activities and decisions.
● Managing CRAD team members and ensuring that CRAD standards are met on all assignments.
● Providing coaching and development to CRAD team members, particularly in the areas of CRAD Credit Review requirements and credit risk management.
- Evaluate lending transactions and Americas Corporate Banking Department (ACBD), Americas Risk Management (ARM) and Americas Credit Department (ACD) to ensure compliance with risk ratings; adequacy of and adherence with policies and procedures, underwriting guidelines, portfolio management and regulatory guidance as well as expectations.
- Assist coordination of MHBK portfolio data integrity for review sampling and reporting.
- Provide management with objective assessment of the assigned sector of the MHBK loan portfolio and ensure emerging risks are identified and highlighted.
- Evaluate borrower financial performance through the assessment of financial statements and credit risk metrics, including income statement, cash flow statement, balance sheet, capital structure analysis and all base as well as stress-scenario financial projections as required.
- Coordinate credit risk assessments of and monitor designated MHBK portfolio sectors including the quantity of credit risk, quality of credit risk management and direction of credit risk along with adherence to Bank risk appetite.
- Provide insights and advisory collaboration to ACBD and ACD on risk identification, credit risk management processes and regulatory guidance.
- Understand how the MHBK risk appetite and risk culture should be considered in day to day activities and decisions.
- Assist CRAD Managing Director in planning and executing the Annual Plan, providing financial and regulatory reporting and meeting regulatory requirements.
- As needed, complete assigned individual credit reviews, document findings, draft potential review issues and perform issue tracking up to resolution.
- Support day to day administration of CRAD, to include managing assigned team members.
- Maintain in-depth knowledge of all policies and procedures related to lending, credit ratings and problem loan monitoring. Proactively recommend changes to MHBK’s and CRAD policies and procedures as needed.
- Work in standard office based environment, with non-standard hours a common occurrence.
- Perform ad-hoc/ancillary projects in support of the overall CRAD function.
- Maintain a thorough understanding of MHBK’s compliance rules and regulations in accordance with the directives of Americas Legal & Compliance Department (ALCD) and in compliance with MHBK’s Code of Conduct.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent corporate banking work experience with post graduate business degree and/or CFA preferable.
- Minimum 10 year’s credit risk management experience (bank, rating or U.S. bank regulatory agency, consulting etc.), with formal credit training, a plus.
- Proficient in applying credit risk management standards, techniques and methodologies.
- Knowledge of U.S. regulatory environment and emerging risks.
- Knowledge of Leverage Lending and securitizations is a strong asset.
- Strong project management, planning and organizational skills.
- Advanced computer proficiency (MS Office) and ability to acclimate to MHBK proprietary systems.
- Ability and willingness to articulate verbal and well-written and supported credit review opinions, including those divergent from ACBD and ACD officers.
- Collaborative approach to work with the CRAD team and ACBD and ACD officers.
- Capacity to manage competing project priorities and a diverse workload.
- Strong interpersonal skills, strong work ethic and self-motivated.
- Ability to work independently, accept accountability and demonstrate initiative.
- Available to conduct domestic and foreign travel, if needed.
Mizuho Americas is a leading financial institution comprising several legal entities, which together offer clients corporate and investment banking, financing, securities, treasury services, asset management, research and more. Mizuho’s operations in the Americas connect a broad client base of major corporations, financial institutions and public sector groups to local markets and a vast global network. Mizuho Americas is an integral part of the Japan-based Mizuho Financial Group, Inc. (NYSE: MFG), which is comprised of offices in nearly 40 countries, approximately 60,000 employees, and assets of more than USD 1.8 trillion. Learn more at mizuhoamericas.com.