Accounting Manager/Assistant Controller- New York, NYFull Time Freedom Care posted 1 month ago
Started in 2016, FreedomCare is a Healthcare company that is innovating and revolutionizing the way home care is delivered. We bring dignity and support to patients needing care in their homes and to the caregivers who care for them. We’re the largest consumer-directed home care agency in NY State, and are continually expanding our areas of focus including operations in other states and tech-based innovations.
We pride ourselves on our values which drive the level of care that we deliver to our patients:
- Here For You (An attitude of service, empathy, and availability)
- Own It (Drive and ownership)
- Do the Right Thing (High integrity)
- Be Positive (Great attitude and a can-do positive approach to challenges)
Join our team and make a positive impact on the lives of others! We are looking for an Accounting Manager for our Finance team.
Department & Position Overview:
The mission of this role is to enable our accounting team to complete its routine cycle work and special projects faster and better. We’ll do this by adding your knowledge of accounting and accounting department operations, complementary skills, diverse experiences and the additional bandwidth you’ll bring, to our bench…
Everyday You Will:
- Close assigned Quickbook (QB) companies accurately and on schedule (3 – 8 business days depending on entity) every month, including:
- Multiple mid-month soft closes and other advance planning
- Reconciling bank and credit card statements, QB import prep and uploading, account analysis, updating supporting schedules, journal entries, intercompany entries and recs, operations-driven calculations and entries (ex: trademark, app, etc.)
- Update and communicate cash schedules every Thursday
- Facilitate A/P payments twice a month, and in between as required. Communicate effectively with vendors relating to payments. Proactively bring up any unusual items to discuss.
- Document all recurring workflows — our goal is to translate them accurately and completely to a person-off-the-street-could-reperform standard.
- Organize and systematize all completed work, standing data, entity documents and other relevant information so that it’s easily discoverable, reviewed and leveraged by the entire team.
- Plan out non-monthly projects with plenty of advance planning to allow for timely (or early!) completion, including but not limited to 1099s, 1095s, WOTC, etc.
- Identify any inefficient and ineffective processes within our team’s work and work collaboratively to streamline and automate them.
- On a weekly basis, handle: 401K matching calculations, downloads, accuracy check, labor distribution tieout, internal audits, trustee uploads, distribution administration, ineligibility checks, approvals, and related banking operations.
- On an annual basis, oversee compliance work and external audit work.
- Scrutinize ledger level transactions for opportunities to cut costs and optimize operations for better financial results.
- Contribute to our positive team vibe, effective communication, productivity and responsiveness to our many partners inside and outside the company.
Ideal Candidate Will Possess:
- Adept at getting anything you need from QuickBooks/other accounting package
- Highly knowledgeable in Excel – you don’t have to dream in grids, but words like VBA, PowerPivot, XLOOKUP and spilled arrays are things that you use to get stuff done…
- Quickly understood when discussing results/technical topics with non-accountant humans; you communicate thoughtfully, clearly and succinctly
- Comfortable with ambiguity; you tease structure and devise work plans out of vague requests
- Recognized for getting things done when you said they’d be done
- A get-stuff-done, crank it out machine when needed – don’t worry we’re laid back, but accountants have deadlines, y’know…
- Either a CPA or CPA-track professional with public accounting experience, a BS Accounting/Finance with 3+ years of accounting experience or have 5+ years of accounting experience with any background
- Not a delegator of loose ends – you drill down and dig in to discover the truth in the numbers even if it’s inconvenient or scary
- A team-player, meaning you enjoy interacting with colleagues in person and virtually, sharing your knowledge and learning from others, and collaborating respectfully with team members/other departments/3rd parties to get BIG things done
Nice to Haves:
- You know how to generate credits through the WOTC/NYS process
- You’ve been involved in setting up accounting/finance/payroll operations in multiple states
- You have knowledge of homecare
- You have payroll ops experience
- You’ve been involved in accounting system conversions
- You have NetSuite, Intaact, Sage experience
- You have payroll experience (role may eventually include admin payroll[s])
This role is based out of one or both of our two main offices: Manhattan (Midtown) and Long Island (Lake Success, near the border with Queens) and will support both the Senior People Operations Manager and the Associate Director of People/Human Resources. For now, we are entirely remote until our employees want to be back in the office.
Why work at FreedomCare?
We are here for you and committed to providing a best-in-class employee experience. We offer competitive compensation, medical benefits, retirement plans, wellness programs, fun company events and ongoing learning opportunities to grow your career.
This is a place where your voice matters, where we build great relationships, and your work has meaning and a tangible positive impact on others!
At FreedomCare, we celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.