Director, Health Communication ResearchFull Time @Fors Marsh Group posted 6 months ago
At Fors Marsh Group (FMG), we combine the power of science and strategy to improve people’s lives. Each day, we work with institutions and organizations that seek to disrupt markets, understand and influence behavior, drive action on a national scale, and create a positive impact. Our approach extends far beyond our client portfolio—as a certified B Corporation and a 2020 Greenbook Top 50 Market Research Company, we make a difference in our community through corporate-sponsored employee volunteer programs and pro bono partnerships with values-aligned nonprofits. Most importantly, as a 2019 and 2020 Washington Post Top Workplace, we are committed to putting people first and foster a culture that reflects that commitment. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and we celebrate diversity and inclusivity as the foundation of a healthy, successful, and innovative work environment. Join us, and together we can work to ensure a better tomorrow.
We are currently seeking an experienced, intelligent and motivated division director to lead and expand our efforts in the areas of communications and market research. This individual will serve in a director role, overseeing a multi-disciplinary team of researchers conducting a range of studies, as well as playing a key role in business development efforts. Projects support message and advertising development and evaluation of communication and marketing activities across a variety of topics (e.g., tobacco use, Alzheimer’s disease, trauma, excessive alcohol use, prescription drug indications, chronic disease, infectious disease, and environmental risks), methodologies (e.g., focus groups, surveys, experiments), and audiences (e.g., youth, physicians, and a range of consumer audiences).
- Leading multiple research teams/projects, management and support of a department, including setting goals, spearheading direction-setting activities, cultivating a productive work environment, and developing team members through coaching, mentoring and on-the-job training
- Managing multiple (15+) concurrent projects, including providing quality control and implementing financial controls for projects
- Thinking creatively to solve tangible communication and public health problems through research and application
- Overseeing the design, execution, and interpretation of research across a variety of quantitative and qualitative methodologies
- Providing client account management to understand needs, manage expectations, and build long-term relationships
- Overseeing the dissemination of research findings to a variety of audiences and translating research into actionable insights to develop, improve, and evaluate communication materials and programs
- Building relationships with universities, business partners, and subcontractors to support current and future work
- Developing proposals and undertaking other activities related to business development to expand FMG communication research client base and project portfolio
- Strengthening FMG’s research brand through collaboration with other team members to develop a well-articulated strategic marketing plan including recommending conferences and events at which to present, speak, sponsor, or otherwise engage
- Graduate degree (PhD preferred) in social science field such as psychology, public health, communication, or related. Specific background in health and social issues (e.g., public health, risk communication, health communication) required
- A minimum of 10 years of post-graduate applied experience leading research projects, preferably through the use of mixed-methods approaches
- Experience in a contracting environment and with a wide range of federal government clients (e.g., CDC, FDA, NIH) required
- Experience supervising multiple researchers at junior, mid- and senior levels.
- Experience leading the acquisition and execution of research related to the digital communication environment, including social media discourse, and other non-traditional/innovative methods.
- Demonstrated history of publishing, presenting, and thought-leadership in the social marketing and health communication domains
- Demonstrated experience in acquiring new business and contracts
- Demonstrated ability to successfully develop and maintain client relationships
- Demonstrated ability to successfully complete contracts, meeting client standards for deliverables and completing work on-time and within available budgets
- Demonstrated experience leading research studies and research teams in both quantitative and qualitative domains
- Master proficiency in at least one statistical analysis software package (SPSS, STATA, and R). Experience with qualitative data analysis software (e.g., NVivo) preferred
- Demonstration of strong verbal and written communications skills, including proposal writing.
- Applicants may be subject to a low-level government security investigation and must meet eligibility criteria for access to sensitive information
- This individual would exercise significant discretion in the management of a division, lead business development efforts, and work directly with the top management team to direct organizational growth. Relevant clients and projects can be found at http://forsmarshgroup.com/expertise/#experience
Our benefits typically meet or exceed our competitors’ packages. Ways we are unique?
- Top-tier health, dental, vision, and long and short-term disability coverage all covered at 100% for employee coverage.
- Our company culture, which values balance. We work around our personal realities while always accomplishing what’s expected of us.
- We provide a floating holiday bank so you can celebrate the days you value.
- Generous matching retirement contributions and no vesting period in your third month of employment.
- Dedicated training and development budgets to expand your expertise and grow your skillset.
- You can volunteer your way with paid time off.
- You can participate in FMG staff-led affinity groups.
- Our employees receive product and service discounts through the certified B Corp network.