Tax SpecialistFull Time Equity Residential posted 6 months ago
The Tax Specialist is responsible for the accurate and timely preparation of federal, state and local tax returns for Equity Residential and its related entities. The Tax Specialist gathers information and researches tax laws to support the overall tax initiatives of Equity Residential and corresponds with agencies as necessary.
WHO YOU ARE
A Strong Communicator. Your writing and speaking skills are clear and effective, helping you connect well with others.
- A Team Player. You are united with teammates in delivering on all commitments.
- Organized. You are flexible and able to juggle multiple tasks and priorities in order to complete all assignments within the established due dates.
- Creative. You are an idea person and like coming up with smart solutions to new challenges.
- Caring. You put yourself in others’ shoes and strive for positive outcomes.
- Motivated. You invest extra time and energy to accomplish goals.
- Solution-Oriented. You follow through on commitments, co-workers and business partners know that they can count on you.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Prepare federal, state and local tax returns and related schedules and reports for Equity Residential and its related corporations and partnerships according to the due dates provided by the manager.
- Gather management and accounting information. Obtain any necessary clarification, request additional information and communicate with various departments concerning any problems that arise.
- Conduct research as necessary to determine compliance with tax laws. Read periodicals to maintain knowledge about changing tax laws, planning opportunities, filing with equivalent requirements, etc. Use tax research resources regularly.
- Draft correspondence with federal and state taxing agencies in connection with notices and filing inquiries, as needed.
- Review corporate and partnership legal documents and correspondence as needed to ensure correct preparation of tax returns.
- Prepare quarterly and annual REIT tests for all REIT’s in the EQR organizational structure.
- Conduct various tax research projects as assigned by Supervisor. Present findings to the rest of the Tax Department, as necessary.
- Prepare various calculations and tracking schedules as required, ie. tracking taxable gains, property attributes, secured debt, etc.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or other college Degree, combination of coursework and professional tax experience.
- Some accounting or tax experience is preferred, but is not required.
- Must possess strong analytical, communication and follow-up skills and have a basic working knowledge of partnership and corporate, federal and state taxation.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Excel; exposure to database and/or tax preparation software a plus.