Data Engineer Chicago, ILFull Time Equity Residential posted 3 months ago
As a Data Engineer, you will implement the data models and data structures needed for each use case, in the most convenient format to be used by the Data Science and Business Intelligence teams. Through regular interactions with stakeholders and functional business unit leaders, you will build high-performance data pipelines, tools, and a platform that influences EQR’s data storage, ingestions, and usage. Additionally, you will participate in data requirements, modeling and testing activities. Each day will be unique, requiring an ability to think strategically and on your feet, be creative, take initiative, and employ a diverse set of skills.
WHO YOU ARE
- Knowledgeable, Analytical, and Solution-Oriented. Without a doubt, you’ve got strong quantitative skills and are comfortable analyzing large data sets, spotting trends and patterns, and synthesizing relevant observations. You use a hypothesis-driven approach to engage in analysis that will deliver on your client questions. You like thinking outside the box to come up with innovative points of view on new challenges, relying on your previous analytic work and experience to help guide you along the way.
- Results-Oriented. You demonstrate an inherent sense of urgency to drive great results, while being precise in executing your work. You are facile with creating and communicating a clear project plan, tracking progress, and keeping your business partners in the loop along the way.
- Intellectually Curious. You’re inherently interested in the “why” so that you can identify opportunities that represent unconventional solutions to the problems you are trying to solve.
- Strong Communicator. Your writing and speaking skills are concise, articulate, and effective, providing an ability to interact with all levels/various teams across the organization, be understood, and develop trust and rapport within the organization.
- Technologically Savvy. You exhibit mastery of SQL along with a strong skill set in one or more general programming languages (Python, Java, Scala, C++)
- A Trusted Team Player. You enjoy partnering with others and build constructive working relationships that foster the collaboration necessary to deliver great results. You are accountable to your teammates and follow through on commitments.
- Organized and Confident. You are flexible, composed, and able to prioritize multiple tasks and deadlines simultaneously, while confidently interacting with a variety of individuals, across all levels of the organization. You handle pressure well and do so with confidence.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Lead the effort to democratize data at EQR, providing the right endpoints for the right user (e.g. report, API, table, etc.)
- Assist in standardizing our data management best practices, including codebase management, work and issue tracking, testing and quality control/assurance measures, data dictionaries, and a documentation hub for both production level code and ad hoc analyses.
- Interact with stakeholders and functional subject matter experts to understand and gather requirements to develop effective data models that can be translated into business insights reports/analyses
- Create data models and data processes, providing the right format and structure for use case solutions.
- Build and deploy pipelines to ingest and transform in our rapidly growing data platform
- Partner with IT and Functional Teams on internal/external data integration and acquisition
- Research modern technologies and frameworks to discover uses for new and existing data.
- Propose and effect changes to our data generation processes
- Produce clean, well-tested, and documented code
PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE & REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor’s Degree required, preferably in Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Finance or related technical field.
- 3+ years developing end-to-end Business Intelligence or Analytic solutions (i.e. data modeling, ELT/ELT, reporting/analysis)
- Experience working with data warehouses, including technical architectures, infrastructure components, large-scale ETL/ELT pipelines, automation, database optimization, and reporting/analytic tools and environments.
- Experience writing software in one or more languages: Python, Java, C++
- 3+ years utilizing SQL based data management systems (preferred NoSQL experience as well)
- Experience with Azure or other cloud providers (AWS, GCP) is strongly preferred
- Preferred experience with data platforms and technologies such as Kafka, Presto, Delta Lake, Spark, etc.
- Demonstrated experience working with diverse data sets and frameworks across multiple domains
- Demonstrated experience using software engineering best practices like Continuous Integration/ Deployment to deliver complex software projects
- Team oriented and flexible with a proven track record in collaborating with multiple stakeholders.
- Must be available for overnight travel (approximately 10%) to any of Equity’s major core markets, as required.
- Authorization to work in the US (without need for Visa sponsorship from employer) is required.
Working for Equity Residential (EQR), a leading multi-family real estate investment trust (REIT), means living our purpose: creating communities where people thrive. It means striving to provide the best in apartment living, speaking boldly about new ideas for innovation, and inspiring creativity in the ways we work together.
Our portfolio of high-quality properties in urban growth markets – New York City, Boston, Washington DC, Seattle, San Francisco, Southern California, and Denver – provides homes where people most want to live, work and play. We’ve got the best people in the business, as evidenced by our employee engagement scores and customer loyalty ratings. That’s why our employees say they are proud to work at Equity, a company that gives our residents a place where they can Live Remarkably, and offers a culture where our employees have the opportunity to thrive.
When you join Equity Residential, you won’t be treated as simply another employee — you will be considered a partner in our shared success. As such, we are committed to investing in your personal success through a benefits program that supports your Total Wellbeing.
We recognize that everyone has different needs outside of work. That’s why, in addition to a competitive benefits package (medical, dental, vision and paid time off), we offer many unique benefits options to employees, like a comprehensive wellness program, pet insurance, new parent benefits, and paid time off for community service projects. In addition to your next job, you can also find your next home with us! Rent discounts on Equity Residential apartment homes are available to our benefits-eligible employees. The amount of the discount offered is determined based on the market, ranging upwards from 20%. Learn more about our Total Wellbeing program here.
At Equity Residential, like our residents, our employees come from everywhere. A richly diverse work environment captures top talent, cultivates the best ideas, and creates the widest possible platform for success. By focusing on inclusion, these differences are harnessed to create value — in ideas, business practices, relationships, and employee engagement. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are committed to maintaining a diverse, inclusive and equitable work environment where our employees can thrive.
All aspects of the employment process are merit-based. Every Equity employee is expected to maintain a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment. Equity Residential does not discriminate against any employee or job applicant because of race, religion, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender, sexual/gender identity/expression, age, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation or related medical conditions), physical or mental disability, national origin, citizenship status, military (including uniformed service member or protected veteran) status, marital status, genetic characteristic or information, ancestry or any other characteristic protected by law. Equity Residential also prohibits retaliation against individuals who report harassment or discrimination, or participate in investigations into such conduct.