Area Sales Manager – Jersey CityFull Time Equity Residential posted 6 months ago
Under the direction of the General Manager and/or Regional Manager, the Area Sales Manager leads the overall leasing function at Equity Residential apartment communities within an assigned portfolio, including the direct supervision of eight or more Leasing Consultants. Through strategic planning and forecasting, our Area Sales Manager facilitates the achievement of maximum occupancy and revenue goals by handling and directing sales and marketing activities with a strong emphasis on the customer experience. You will have a proven track record of utilizing sales and marketing techniques in order to close the sale and will provide leadership, direction and training to the leasing teams. You will be responsible for various management duties including overseeing team schedules, administering and monitoring leasing commissions and leasing administration activities as well as ensuring superior customer service to both new and existing residents. You will also embody Equity Residential’s brand by driving brand awareness, demonstrating a passion for growing new and existing relationships with business partners and residents, and the highest level of customer service at all times. Our Area Sales Managers are typically assigned to 3-5 communities with 1200+ units.
WHO YOU ARE
- Organized, Flexible, and Adaptable. You have a keen eye for detail and pride yourself on delivering quality work. You multitask well, re-prioritize accordingly, and meet deadlines consistently. You keep your cool during stressful situations, remain resilient, and quickly find solutions in order to meet the changing needs and priorities of the business.
- A “People Builder”. You are able to help team members understand their prospective roles, provide feedback and assist others in gaining skills. You have a passion for creating a culture that fosters development.
- A Collaborator and Trusted Team Player. You enjoy partnering with others —whether internal or external— and build constructive working relationships that foster cooperation in order to get work done and deliver great results. You are united with teammates and follow through on commitments. Through your past experience, you’ve also built skills that help you effectively persuade and gain the support of others.
- A Leader. Demonstrate consistent and fair treatment of all employees and customers. You implement undeviating judgement when evaluating the performance of others, while always enforcing company rules and standards.
- A People Person. Building professional and high quality relationships with vendors and area businesses comes naturally to you.
- Creative. You like thinking outside the box to come up with smart solutions to new challenges, and you embrace the opportunity to live in the gray.
- A Strong Communicator. Your writing and speaking skills are clear and effective, helping you connect well with others.
- Comfortable Around Higher Management. You can present information clearly and concisely while building trust and rapport with executives. You understand executive language and thinking.
- Motivated. You invest extra energy to reach your goals.
- Energetic and Positive. You are an outgoing, gregarious brand ambassador who motivates and excites others to elevate their performance.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
Sales Leadership & Management Responsibilities
- Accomplish property objectives by recruiting, hiring and training, along with motivating a high-performing leasing team.
- Supervise and manage the leasing team by overseeing schedules, evaluating team’s performance, coach and counsel staff on job performance and work related issues.
- Provide leadership and mentor Leasing Consultants, supplying recommendations and guidance in defining career paths and professional development plans.
- Train, coach and assist new team members with the sales and marketing process and procedures including providing uncompromising customer service and effective selling to both current and prospective residents.
- Ensure all leasing staff employ effective sales and marketing techniques and consistently follow established Company procedures associated with the sales process. Verify accurate data entry of prospect traffic and sales lead follow-up is complete.
- Monitor and evaluate team’s performance against property management metrics (e.g. Customer Loyalty Scores) and individual contributions.
- Assist and oversee the completion of leasing paperwork. Conduct periodic file reviews to ensure compliance with Equity policies, procedures and audit guidelines.
- Administer the commission program payments. Work with Community Manager(s) and/or General Manager(s) to adjust commissions as appropriate.
- Maintain open and clear communication with Regional Manager, General Manager(s), Community Manager(s) and business partners including the Central Business Group (CBG) and Pricing team to effectively drive business results.
Direct Sales & Marketing
- In conjunction with the General Manager and/or Regional Manager, partner with the Pricing Analysts to manage occupancy and rental rates. Implement pricing strategies and manage daily leasing activity. Together with the pricing team, analyze LRO (pricing system) data and monitor the community market conditions in order to anticipate market changes and trends that could affect the profitability of the community.
- Work closely with marketing staff to conceptualize marketing campaigns and strategies. Organize and oversee local/neighborhood outreach marketing by fostering relationships with local businesses and hosting community events. Partner with Community Manager and/or General Manager and maintenance staff to ensure community appearance meets company standards and demonstrate curb appeal.
- Maintain accurate and in-depth knowledge of all aspects of the assigned communities, particularly in areas such as rent pricing, apartment availability, lease expirations, square footage and amenities. This also includes knowledge of the surrounding neighborhood, sister properties, and local competition. Anticipate changes or trends that could affect the profitability of the communities and make appropriate recommendations.
Resident Relations / Customer Service
- Collaborate with General Manager and/or Regional Manager on lease renewal negotiation strategy.
- Demonstrate superior customer service and lead the sales team to deliver superior customer service, identifying needs, facilitations resolutions and communicating with customer concerns to establish customer satisfaction loyalty.
Building Community & Industry Knowledge
- Understand a and comply with federal, state and local fair housing laws and standards, as well as landlord/tenant laws and regulations and banking laws.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Represent the Company in a professional manner at all times. Consistently maintain a professional, courteous attitude when dealing with residents, coworkers, vendors and the public.
- High School diploma or equivalent required. College degree or some college coursework preferred.
- Must have a minimum of 5+ years customer service experience with advanced proficiency in sales.
- 3+ years managerial experience required.
- Strong leadership skills with demonstrated success in mentoring and training staff.
- Computer skills required including proficiency in Microsoft Office and Excel.
- Ability to influence at all levels and effectively and objectively communicate and work with internal and external customers.
- Must be articulate and organized, with good writing skills, and have experience communicating and presenting ideas and marketing concepts to all levels.
- Must be detail-oriented and able to work in a fast-paced environment with changing deadlines.
We recognize everyone has different needs outside of work. That’s why, in addition to a competitive benefits package (medical, dental, vision and paid time off), we offer many unique options to employees, like adoption benefits and paid time off for community service projects. To learn more, view our Total Wellbeing page here.